Hanur firing: 3 men were poachers, opened fire first, says Chamarajanagar CCF
Officials are verifying the claim that the men had entered the forest to search for missing cattle, but no cattle or carcasses have been found so far, the CCF said.
Salar News
Mysuru, 20 August
The Forest Department on Thursday extended support the forest personnel involved in the 15 August firing in Hanur taluk of Chamarajanagar district where three suspected poachers were killed
The three people killed were poachers and not villagers, Malathi Priya, Chief Conservator of Forests (CCF), Chamarajanagar Wildlife Circle, emphasised.
In her first statement since the incident, Priya told press that officials recovered two pistols, venison meat, weapons, and other materials used by poachers to hunt animals on the spot.
Based on this evidence, she said that it could be proved that the deceased -- Anthony Samy, John Rose Peter and Kumar - were poachers.
She added that the forest department staff opened fire in self defence on the day.
On allegations that the deceased had entered the deep jungles of Holemuradatti forest to search for their cattle, she said that officials were verifying the claims, but no cows or carcasses had been found yet.
Further, Priya said that there were no previous cases filed against the three poachers who were killed, but there was a case against Mahima Das, the fourth alleged poacher who fled the scene, for illegal fishing in forest areas.
However, Salar was unable to verify if Priya spoke about why the forest department officials shot at the neck, chest and the heads of the three deceased, instead of the legs.
The statement comes amid continuing controversy over the incident in the Hanur Wildlife Range of the Cauvery Wildlife Division, with the deaths of the Tamil-origin men triggering outrage, especially in Tamil Nadu.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




